Health Network Laboratories
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Health Network Laboratories
Performs cytologic evaluation on a variety of cell samples for the presence or absence or cancer, infectious disease and other cellular abnormalities in order to provide accurate tests results to physicians in a timely manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Evaluates prepared anatomic specimens for interpretation of benign, premalignant and malignant conditions, inflammatory changes, hormonal pathologies and the presence of microorganisms with minimal technical supervision.
- Accurately determines whether cellular changes meet established guidelines and necessitate referral to pathologist of GYN specimens.
- Accurately selects and clearly marks cells most representative of any pathological process.
- Provides an accurate preliminary differential diagnosis for the pathologist on GYN and Non-GYN specimens and a final diagnosis on negative GYN specimens (pap tests).
- Screens work with minimal discrepancy between technologist/pathologist.
- Adheres to individual workload limit established by technical supervisor and does not exceed the maximum number established by federal regulations.
- Prioritizes/reorganizes work in response to heavy workloads and/or STAT requests and completes work within designated turn-around times.
- May be requested to prepare specimens for diagnostic analysis.
- Assists in CAP inspection and CAP procedure revisions.
- Assists radiologist or clinician in fine needle biopsy procedures; appropriately contacts pathologist through telepathology for confirmation of adequacy and guidance for ancillary studies.
- Participates in Service Recovery and continuing education programs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must meet CLIA 88 personnel requirements for high complexity testing.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, manuals, necessary reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to appropriately communicate with staff via conversations and computer messages.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in verbal, mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Word processing, Spreadsheets, E-mail, Laboratory Information Systems
Certificates and Licenses:
Certification by a recognized certifying agency for clinical laboratory professionals preferred (ASCP, IAC, ASMT, NCA, etc.). Passing grade required on annual proficiency exam.